Sunday 11 May 2014

Flower Power pattern

It's been a long time since I've posted a knitting pattern, so I thought this would be a good one with the end of summer term coming up (I'm being hopeful here!!) and people on the lookout for teacher presents. I know that there are many teachers with mugs of tea and coffee sitting on their desks/ tables/ window sills out there waiting to be drunk and getting cold!! I do have an insulated mug to use, but tea just doesn't taste right in one of those and never look closely at the lid!!! So my pattern is for a knitted mug hug or cosy.
I am also saying that it could be for you, your mum, a gardener or anyone else who likes a warm mug of something to drink - not just teachers!
So here is my so easy Pickle-Lily herself could knit it pattern!
Flower Power cosy

You need
Aran wool - I am a self confessed yarn snob and only use pure wool! It takes less than a ball to make a hug, so you can make for the lovely hard working teaching assistant as well. In fact I think I'd better! If you are interested I used Tivoli Celtic Aran to make mine which is a superwash wool that you can machine wash without it felting.
4.5mm knitting needles

Cast on 46 stitches using the thumb method so you get a nice stretchy cast on edge.
Knit 2 rows of knit one purl one rib.
Knit 20 rows of moss stitch - that is purl one, knit one on row one row and then purl one, knit one on the next row, so the knit stitch is on top of the purl and the purl on top of the knit in each row.
Then one row of rib to match the last moss stitch row and cast off.
sew the rib row ends only

To make up - sew the rows of ribbing together only leaving a gap for the handle.
blanket stitch
The cast on edge - it feel stretchier - is the bottom of the mug hug, it will need to stretch over the handle. The cast off edge is the top and you can sew blanket stitch on it to decorate.
Then add the flowers! I used a thick double knit yarn in bright colours, you could use whatever you fancy or favourite colours.
first petal
To make your lazy daisy stitch, bring the needle in and out of the same hole to make a loop, then, without pulling the loop out, make a small stitch catching the end of the loop the length you want your petal to be.
sewing the petals
Sew another four stitches or petals out of the same central hole, radiating round to make a flower. Sew a pretty button over the centre of the flower  to decorate.
finished flower

You can always buy a mug, pop the cosy on and put some biscuits or sweeties in the mug and gift wrap to complete the gift.

I'm posting this as part of Laura at Bugs and Fishes link-up, I am a week early - I got the date wrong!!!

14 comments:

Ali said...

What a lovely idea for a gift. I'm sure it would really be appreciated, especially when the teacher is called away from their break.
Ali xx

MadBirdDesignsUK said...

Thank you for the free pattern. It will do nicely thank you for my mug of tea that I take out to my garage, when I am painting furniture. If its cold that tea goes cold so quick! x

Free Spirit Designs said...

A fantastic project for a knitting beginner like me, especially as i do like a hot cup of tea :) thank you for sharing! x

Anonymous said...

I love the flower stitches sewn on top - very pretty!

Unknown said...

This is so cute and so useful! I'm going to my first knit and natter soon, I'm thinking it would make a great project. Thank you for sharing your instructions.

Chrysalis said...

Very pretty, Jo, and - as you say - a great pressie for a teacher. Thanks for sharing, Chris x

threads 'n' shreds said...

Fabulous little mug cosy, its delightful and a great tutorial too...
Ive seen lots of pictures of lovely cosies, and i'd love to have a go at making one, but all I can think of is coffee dribbles!!

Ren said...

Darling! I'd love to see you join us at the Inspire Us Thursday link party on www.theinspiredwren.com.

Jan said...

That's so sweet, I may just take up knitting even though I haven't knitted for years. These would be great for popping on the old mugs I use for keeping my pencils in on my desk :)

Jan x

Louise@ElsieMayandBertha said...

Thanks for this pattern, I need one of these to stop me always ending up with cold tea or coffee!

Lucy Blossom said...

What a fabulous idea - I've always got a cold mug of tea that I don't get a chance to drink hot.

Handbags by Helen said...

Your knitting is so neat! Wish mine was that good

Mad said...

So pretty!

Sara Millis said...

I must have a go!